History and timeline
Much of the history of the CSSBI has been gleaned from the original minute books and annual reports. A small group of six teachers, recognising that nothing was being done to assist teachers who fell on hard times, approached the Revd J G Lonsdale, Secretary of the National Society, to help them establish a benevolent fund. A large gathering of teachers met at St. Martin’s School, Charing Cross on the 2nd January 1857 and the benevolent institution was formed. Branches were established in many parts of the country including Northampton, Devon and Exeter, Liverpool, Bristol and in the Vale of Aylesbury. By 1920 there were 142 local branches. With the Education Acts of 1870, 1902 and 1944 and the establishment of a Teachers Pension Scheme, the needs of teachers changed and the number of the local boards dwindled.
Royal Patronage throughout our history
Several of Queen Victoria’s children supported the CSSBI, including the Prince of Wales who became Patron of the West Norfolk Branch on 15th April 1878. When he succeeded to the throne in 1901 he became a Patron of the National Council of the CSSBI. We have enjoyed Royal Patronage since then and are grateful for the interest H.M. Queen Elizabeth II takes in the Institution.
It was decided to purchase a house in Sussex in 1946, namely Glen Arun, 142 Brighton Road, Horsham. With the rising costs of an office in London the council decided, in 1951, to transfer the registered office to Glen Arun. The retired teacher residents each had their own room with housekeeping services and lunch provided. In 1963 the Council felt that a purpose-built retirement home was needed. Land was sold and the original Glen Arun was replaced by a new building.
In 2008 the CSSBI Council realised that the running of a care home by a volunteer committee in the current economic climate was no longer viable. They came to the decision to sell Glen Arun as a going concern.
In November 2008 the sale of the home to Lifestyle Care (UK) Ltd was agreed. The proceeds of this sale provided much needed funds for the CSSBI to invest and use on its core purpose of being a benevolent institution, with sufficient funds to make charitable donations that meet the requirements of the Articles and Memorandum of Association.
CSSBI in the 21st Century
In February 2009, the CSSBI opened its new registered office at 3 Kings Court, Horsham, West Sussex.
I cannot express how stunned, thrilled and completely bowled over we all are. Our home life has completely been turned upside down since the beginning of the year and we have faced challenges that we couldn’t possibly have foreseen. Very rarely kindness like yours comes along in a life-changing kind of way. A run-around car is a lifeline for us to use for work and but also days out together making memories and finding our smile again inside
1857 Meeting of teachers at St. Martin’s School, Charing Cross. President Revd J G Lonsdale established a Benevolent Fund.
J Studdle Hon Sec prepared proposed rules and distributed them to teachers in London and the Provinces.
1858 Grand Choral Festival held in The Crystal Palace. 3,500 London school children sang. £1000 raised for the Benevolent Fund. Continued as an annual event until 1872.
1860 First Investments made.
1865-1895 Six bazaars organised each raising £1000.
1874 Appointment of Mr G.W. Perry as permanent Secretary “at a sufficient salary.”
1878 The Prince of Wales became Patron of the West Norfolk Branch.
1880 Home of Rest and Convalescent Home opened in Worthing, Sussex.
1881 Home moved to Findon.
1887 Home moved back to Worthing.
1889 Home of Rest closed.
1893 Memorandum and Articles of Association approved.
1894 Incorporation completed.
1899 Mr West became Secretary and Mr Rawson Assistant Secretary from 1897, having previously been a clerk for the Institution.
1901 King Edward VII became Patron of National Council of CSSBI on his accession to the throne.
1902 32 Annual Fund Raising Concert held at the Queen’s Hall. (Except war years 1914-18).
1906 CSSBI office established in National Society’s House, Great Peter Street, Westminster.
1907 Jubilee Celebrated and Jubilee Fund inaugurated.
1917 The CSSBI took over the responsibility for the administration of the Hebblethwaite Memorial Fund on behalf of Whitelands College.
1944 CSSBI Office moved to Parliament Mansions, Abbey Orchard Street, SW1. This proved to be expensive.
1946 Purchase of the original “Glen Arun”, 114 Brighton Road, Horsham, with pleasant rooms and 7 acres of land as a home for retired Church of England Teachers. Rooms rented out at 15/- per week plus 4/- for light, heat and cleaning. Lunches could be purchased for a moderate cost. King George V1 expressed interest in the scheme and made a generous contribution to the project.
1951 Registered Office moved to Glen Arun, 114 Brighton Road, Horsham.
1957 One hundred years of Benevolent work was celebrated by the publication of a pamphlet.
1963 Part of the estate was sold to raise funds . This facilitated the development of the land to include a new building with an integral chapel and the new roads and housing of Athelstan Way and Weald and Paget Close. The new address for Glen Arun: 9 Athelstan Way, Horsham.
1988 Further modernisation of Glen Arun as a Care and Nursing Home meant the addition of a nursing wing opened by the Lord Bishop of London.
All residents were now provided with meals from a central kitchen, prepared by a Chef and his team of staff.
Glen Arun had a fully qualified staff of nurses and care assistants as well as domestic workers. All of them played an important part in caring for elderly and sick people.
Preference was given to retired teachers and their families but other vacancies were offered to people who needed to be cared for.
2003 The newly built chapel sited in the conservatory extension was dedicated at an Anniversary Service commemorating 40 years of the current Glen Arun.
2007 The Council of the CSSBI, Staff and Residents celebrated 150 years of Benevolent Service.
2009 Glen Arun was sold.
2010 The CSSBI relocated to their registered office 3 Kings Court, Harwood Road, Horsham, West Sussex RH13 5UR.